Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Wang received the BSEE degree from the Tsinghua University, China, the MSEE degree from the Chinese Academy of Science, and the PhD degree in EE from the State University of New York at Buffalo, in 1985, 1988 and 1996, respectively.
Wang has more than six years of microelectronic industry experiences, most recently with National Semiconductor Corporation in the Silicon Valley as a Staff R&D Engineer (1995-1998). From 1998 to 2007, he was an Assistant and Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Illinois Institute of Technology (Illinois Tech). Since 2007, Wang has been a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Riverside (UCR), where he is Director for the Laboratory for Integrated Circuits and Systems (LICS), Co-Director for the SMIC-UCR-PKU Joint Center for ESD Protection Design (JointESD), and Director for the Center for Ubiquitous Communication by Light (UC-Light; an University of California system-wide research center).
Wang's research interests center on RF/Analog/Mixed-Signal (AMX) Integrated Circuits (IC) and System-on-a-Chip (SoC), Integrated Design-for-Reliability (DfR) for ICs and Systems, 3D Heterogeneous Integration (HI) of Technologies, Devices and Circuits, IC CAD and Modeling, Emerging Nano Devices and Circuits, and LED-based Visible Light Communications (VLC) and Positioning (VLP). His research has been sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the global microelectronics industries.
Wang's teaching interests concentrate on microelectronics including semiconductors and ICs. He prefers to prepare students with both fundamental knowledge and industry-ready skills by challenging them with application-oriented problems and familiarizing them with industrial standard design methodologies and tools. Particularly, he encourages students to identify and define a problem before trying to solve the problem.
Wang's academic credits include two books, 320+ peer-reviewed papers and 16 U.S. patents. Wang is recipient of IEEE J. J. Ebers Award (2022). His other awards and honors include IEEE Electron Devices Society Distinguished Service Award (2019), the CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation, the Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Research, Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research (UCR), J. William Fulbright Specialists roaster, and Best Student Paper Award of IEEE Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC). His editorial services include IEEE Electron Device Letters (EDL), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I (TCAS-I), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II (TCAS-II), IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (TED), IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits (JSSC), IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability (TDMR), IEEE Journal of Electron Device Society (J-EDS), IET Journal of Engineering, and Power Electronic Devices and Components (PEDC). He has been IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society (SSCS), IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CAS) and IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS). Wang served as Sr. Past President (2018-2019), Jr. Past President (2016-2017) and President (2014-2015) for IEEE Electron Devices Society. His other major professional services include IEEE Fellow Committee, IEEE CAS Analog Signal Processing Technical Committee (ASPTC/Chair), IEEE EDS VLSI Technology and Circuits Committee, SIA International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor Committee (ITRS), IEEE 5G Initiative Committee, IEEE Heterogeneous Integration Roadmap (HIR), IEEE Smart Lighting Project, and IEEE Future Directions, etc. Wang was General Chair (2016) and TPC Chair (2015) for IEEE Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC), and General Chair (2021) for IEEE Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing Conference (EDTM). He has served for many IEEE conferences as Program co-Chair, Organization co-Chair, Steering Committee Member, TPC Member, Subcommittee Chair and Session Chair, e.g., IEDM, EDTM, BCTM, ASICON, IEDST, ICSICT, CICC, RFIC, APC-CAS, ASP-DAC, ISCAS, IPFA, ICEMAC, NewCAS, ISTC, IRPS, AP-RASC, MAPE, EDSSC, MIEL, etc. He was a Program Director at National Science Foundation (2019-2021, on leaving from UCR). He speaks frequently at various industrial/academic/international forums and a frequent consultant to the IC industry. Wang is a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI), an IEEE Fellow and an AAAS Fellow.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES:
· Committee, IEEE Smart Lighting Project, 2022 – Current
· Committee, IEEE Heterogeneous Integration Roadmap HIR, 2021 – Current
· Program Director, National Science Foundation, 2019-2021
· Sr. Past President, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 2018-2019
· Jr. Past President, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 2016-2017
· President, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 2014-2015
· President-Elect, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 2012-2013
· Vice President, North America Tsinghua Alumni Academia Club (TAAC), 2018-2019
· IEEE Fellow Committee, 2016-2017
· Board of Governors, IEEE Electron Devices Society
· IEEE EDS Fellow Evaluation Committee, Chair
· Committee, IEEE Future Directions
· IEEE EDS Humanitarian Committee
· IEEE Fellow Strategy Planning Subcommittee
· Committee, SIA International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor (ITRS)
· Committee, IEEE EDS VLSI Technology and Circuit Technical Committee
· Chair, IEEE CAS Analog Signal Processing Technical Committee (ASPTC)
· IEEE 5G Initiative Committee
· Board of Directors, North America Chinese Semiconductor Association
· Editor, IEEE Electron Device Letters
· Guest Editor, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits
· Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I
· Guest Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices
· Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II
· Guest Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Journal of Electron Device Society
· Editor, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability
· Associate Editor, Power Electronic Devices and Components
· Deputy Section Editor, IET Journal of Engineering
· IEEE J. J. Ebers Award, 2022.
· Distinguished Services Award, IEEE Electron Devices Society, 2019.
· Fellow, National Academy of Inventors (NAI), 2018
· Best Student Paper Award, IEEE RFIC Symposium, 2012
· AAAS Fellow, 2010
· Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research, UCR 2010
· IEEE Fellow, 2009
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society.
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Electron Devices Society.
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
· J. William Fulbright Specialists roaster, U.S. Dept. of States, 2009-2014.
· The Outstanding Overseas Young Scholar Award, NSF of China, 2007.
· Chunhui Outstanding Overseas Scholar Award, the Ministry of Education, China, 2006.
· Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Faculty Research, 2003.
· CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, USA, 2002.