IEEE-Fellow, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Wang received the BSEE degree from the Tsinghua University, China, the MSEE degree from the Chinese Academy of Science, and the PhD degree in EE from the State University of New York at Buffalo, in 1985, 1988 and 1996, respectively.
Wang has more than six years of electronic industry experiences, most recently with National Semiconductor Corp. in the Silicon Valley as a Staff R&D Engineer (1995-1998). From 1998 to 2007, he was an Assistant and Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT). Since 2007, Wang has been a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Riverside (UCR), where he is Director for the Laboratory for Integrated Circuits and Systems (LICS), Co-Director for the SMIC-UCR-PKU Joint Center for ESD Protection Design (JointESD), and Director for the Center for Ubiquitous Communication by Light (UC-Light), an University of California system-wide research center.
Wang's research interests center on RF/Analog/Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuits (IC) and System-on-a-Chip (SoC), Integrated Design-for-Reliability (DfR) for ICs, 3D Heterogeneous Device-IC Integration, IC CAD and Modeling, Emerging Nano Devices and Circuits, and LED-based Visible Light Communications (VLC) and Positioning (VLP). His research has been sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the global microelectronics industries.
Wang's teaching interests concentrate on microelectronics including integrated circuits. He prefers to prepare students with both fundamental knowledge and industry-desired skills by challenging them with application-oriented problems and familiarizing them with industrial standard design methodology and tools.
Wang's academic credits include one book entitled “On-Chip ESD Protection for Integrated Circuits” (Kluwer, 2002), 250+ peer-reviewed papers and 13 US patents. Wang received the CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation (2002), the Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Research (IIT) in 2003, and Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research (UCR). He received Best Student Paper Award from IEEE Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (2012). Wang was Editor for IEEE Electron Device Letters, Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Guest Editor-in-Chief for IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices and Guest Editor for IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits. Wang serves as Sr. Past President (2018-2019), Jr. Past President (2016-2017) and President (2014-2015) for IEEE Electron Devices Society. He is a member of IEEE Fellow Committee (2018). He has been IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society and IEEE Electron Devices Society. Wang was Chair for the IEEE CAS Analog Signal Processing Technical Committee (ASPTC). Wang has been serving on numerous professional committees, such as the IEEE EDS VLSI Technology and Circuits Committee, the SIA International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor (ITRS) committee and the IEEE 5G Initiative Committee. Wang was General Chair (2016) and TPC Chair (2015) for IEEE RFIC Symposium. He has been serving for many IEEE conferences as Program co-Chair, Organization co-Chair, Steering Committee Member, TPC Member, Subcommittee Chair and Session Chair, e.g., IEDM, EDTM, BCTM, ASICON, IEDST, ICSICT, CICC, RFIC, APC-CAS, ASP-DAC, ISCAS, IPFA, ICEMAC, NewCAS, ISTC, IRPS, AP-RASC, MAPE, EDSSC, MIEL, etc. He speaks frequently at various industrial/academic/international forums and a frequent consultant to the IC industry. Wang is an IEEE Fellow of IEEE and an AAAS Fellow.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES:
· Sr. Past President, IEEE Electron Devices Society
· Jr. Past President, IEEE Electron Devices Society
· President, IEEE Electron Devices Society
· IEEE Fellow Committee
· Board of Governors Member, IEEE Electron Devices Society
· IEEE EDS Fellow Evaluation Committee
· Committee Member, SIA International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor (ITRS)
· Member, IEEE EDS VLSI Technology and Circuit Technical Committee
· Chair, IEEE CAS Analog Signal Processing Technical Committee
· IEEE 5G Initiative Committee
· Board of Directors, North America Chinese Semiconductor Association
· Committee services for many IEEE conferences
· Editor, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2003-2012
· Guest Editor, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits
· Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, 2003-2013.
· Guest Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Special Issue on Integrated Circuit Technologies for RF Circuit Applications, 2005.
· Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, 2003-2004.
· CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2002.
· Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research, UC Riverside, 2010
· Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in University Faculty Research, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2003.
· J. William Fulbright Specialists roaster, 2009-2014, US Dept. of States
· Chunhui Outstanding Overseas Scholar Award, the Ministry of Education, China, 2006.
· The Outstanding Overseas Young Scholar Award, NSF of China, 2007.
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society.
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Electron Devices Society.
· Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
· IEEE Fellow, 2009
· AAAS Fellow, 2011